Categories:

Sunday, February 25, 2007

The 20-Year Rule.

I hold no claim to being a wise philosopher, but I thought I would share something that I often mention to other legislators when we are discussing an especially important or controversial vote we are taking.

I call it the "20-Year Rule."

It is so easy to get caught up in the heat on the moment in politics or to view things through the short-term lens of the next election. And immediate considerations are important and cannot be ignored. But, in my experience, too many decisions in government are made based on things that seem so important today, but are so clearly irrelevant with the benefit of hindsight.

That is where the 20-year rule comes in.

I try to imagine myself twenty years from now (now, meaning when I am making the decision). Aside from imagining that my joints hurt more than they do now, I imagine myself looking back on what I am doing in the present, and think about how I would judge my own actions.

If vote for the legislation, would I, twenty years from now, be proud of what I did? Would I, instead, regret it? If I voted the other way, what would I think of myself twenty years from now? Is there something I should be doing better, like working harder for more compromise or not compromising principle as much, that would make me prouder, twenty years from now, with the decision that I make.

That is it. It is very simple, but I have found it helpful.

I think it helps me to see the best choices to make. It lets me apply the benefit of hindsight before I make a decision, instead of after, when it is too late.