Categories:

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Honoring Rep. Tony Tercyak

On Tuesday, Sen. Don DeFronzo and Rep. Peter Tercyak officially dedicated the bridge over Rt. 9 near West Farms Mall as the "Anthony Tercyak Memorial Bridge", on honor of the late Rep. Anthony "Tony" Tercyak.

Tony Tercyak served in the state House of Representatives for several years before I was elected.  I had the honor of serving with him for a year after I took office in 2003.  Tony was a real gentleman and was just an infinitely generous person.  As a legislator, he stood up for average, everyday people and was not afraid to take a strong stand when working people, seniors and especially children needed his advocacy.  I have great admiration him, and I am still sorry that I was only able to serve in the legislature with him for just one year before he passed on.

The New Britain delegation pushed for legislation to designate this bridge in honor of Tony Tercyak.  As Chair of the legislative Transportation Committee, of course, Sen. DeFronzo provided the leadership to make it happen.

Sen. DeFronzo led the ceremony dedicating the bridge.
Rep. Peter Tercyak, Tony Tercyak's son and successor in the legislature, gave a very touching tribute to his father.
Pictured here is the New Britain delegation, Rep. John Geragosian (at the left), Sen. DeFronzo, me, and Rep. Tercyak.
Next time you are driving in the area, look for the signs.  For me, it will always remind me of a truly good man who spend a lifetime helping people.
Thanks, again, Tony.

Photos taken by Marcin Olechowski.