Categories:

Thursday, May 14, 2009

New Britain High School class visit to the Capitol.

This week, I was honored to be able to greet New Britain High School students, teacher Basia Maselek's 9th grade American Government class, at the State Capitol.  They were on a field trip, visiting the Capitol and the state Supreme Court on a field trip to see how government works.

I believe it is important to show young people how their government functions by being able to see it themselves.  That is why I try to speak with students who visit the Capitol on field trips whenever I can.

When I met Ms. Maselek's class, the legislature's Finance, Revenue and Bonding Committee was meeting to debate legislation referred from the House and Senate floor, so I was able to bring the class into the committee meeting room to watch the committee's deliberations.  I hope that they enjoyed watching the legislature in action.

The photo here is outside the committee room, where I was able to speak with the class.  I let the class know some of how the decision-making at the Capitol works, and the students asked some very thoughtful questions.

Sen. Donald DeFronzo and Rep. Peter Tercyak also spoke with the class.