Categories:

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Thousands rally for universal health care at the Capitol

Since I was first elected to the legislature, making sure that everyone get affordable and quality health care coverage has been one of my highest priorities. You can see my web pages on this on my personal website and on my state website.

This has been the most exciting year, I believe, in the history of the state on this issue, with sweeping health care reform legislation being seriously considered and legislators more interested that ever to approve a plan to ensure quality health care for everyone.

Today, more than 5,000 people gathered in Bushnell Park, outside the State Capitol in Hartford, to encourage legislators to approve universal health care. I was there, and it was an electrifying event.

CT News Junkie did a story on the rally.

New Britain, I believe had more elected officials present at the rally that any other city or town. In the photo on CT News Junkie, you can see Rep. John Geragosian, soon-to-be Board of Education member Brian Riley and me when we were up on the stage. Rep. Peter Tercyak was up there, too, though he is not in this photo. And New Britain Board of Education President Peter Kochol and Board of Assessment Appeals Chair Robert Wysocki were there, as well as New Britain Democratic Town Committee Chair John McNamara and Town Committee member Phil Sherwood.

You can read more about this issue at www.healthcare4every1.com.

Update, May 6:
Thanks to Spazeboy for his kind words, and for his report on the rally.

Also, Undercurrents, the Hartford Independent Media Center publication, did a story on the rally, as well.

Update, May 7:
Ctblogger has a very good summary of news about the rally on My Left Nutmeg, including this YouTube video, posted by tparty: